Assessment

1. The text I just read is about depression and coping with it. I feel that it was well written, probably by someone who has had depression. As someone who does not have chronic depression, it is a bit difficult to figure out what to click for the answers but that makes it all that much better. Honestly, it helps me understand depression a bit more and I feel it would be a fantastic bit of learning material for someone who has a friend, family member or loved one with depression. You can see things more from their perspective and better act on it. I especially enjoyed the part regarding making harmful jokes without realizing it. Especially when it comes to appearance since this is such a minor thing that can really affect those with depression. Overall I enjoyed the work, it was well thought through but still is interesting to read even though its such a tough topic.
2. The connections I made with the story were in some of the mannerisms of the protagonist. Mostly I related to the feeling of being in a mental rut with work and social life and the constant want to lay in bed and sleep. I think a lot of people have felt that feeling of just wanting to sleep all day and forget about the hardships of life. I find that on Tuesdays, my busiest day when it comes to classes and work, I want to constantly call in sick for my afternoon work shift. Honestly, I was about to do this today. I will say that some of the questions asked did not quite resonate with me, however. The character in the story is a bit of a procrastinator and that is a bit different than me. Though there is a scene where they avoid a project because they feel it be too daunting. I definitely get that since I have been avoiding a term paper for some time now and I know that is going to come back and get me. Less of it being daunting to complete and more of it just being plain old boring.
3. If I was to adapt this story into another medium I would probably turn it into a comic book. It has that relatable content and depression is usually easier to draw due to the isolation effect and dark colors. If I made it a comic it would also be easier to keep the multiple option idea. I could end each comic chapter with the questions asked at the end of each page. Since the events in the game are more of a single story event and don't connect together and one flowing story turning them into single-story chapters works really well. Being that it is a comic and comics tend to have a happy ending or at least one with a solution I will have the main character, the reader, get better throughout the comic. Unlike in the game where you can choose your path I would rather have it be where the best option is chosen for you so instead of staying in a stagnant depression it would slowly allow the reader's character to improve their mental health. Hopefully, that will keep the relatability but still allow it to help the reader.






Comments

Popular Posts